How to make DIY tile coasters.
“You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” -Maya Angelou
How to Make DIY Tile Coasters
If you are looking for premade ceramic tile coasters for sale, scroll down to the bottom.
Is it just me? Or does this happen to everyone else? Every time I sit down, there is never a coaster. Why? Who knows! It is not like we do not have plenty of them. And now, since we both work from home, the situation is even worse. So, I am bringing out the coasters. Why should I waste my money buying boring coasters, when I can make my own Mickey Mouse DIY Tile Coasters?
DIY tile coasters are an easy craft to make. They are cheap and take very little time to complete. The worst part is waiting for the Mod Podge to dry in between coats. If you need a coaster or are looking for a unique gift idea, DIY Tile coasters are a great choice. And it is easy to learn how to make ceramic tile coasters.
What Types of Paper Can You Use for a DIY Tile Coaster?
Most people use scrapbooking paper or wrapping paper on their DIY tile coaster. But that is not all you can use. Once you learn how to make a ceramic coaster, you can play around with your options. You have a lot to choose from, including:
Designer Scrapbook Paper
Your own artwork.
How to Make DIY Tile Coasters
These things are so easy to make. And the supplies are super cheap. There is a good chance that you already have most of them sitting around the house already.
Supplies Needed for Ceramic Coasters DIY:
Instructions for making a DIY Tile Coaster:
How to make Mod Podge coasters.
1. Collect all your supplies.
2. Clean your ceramic tile. And let it dry completely. I would recommend you use rubbing alcohol. It dries quickly and removes greasy fingerprints.
3. Choose what area of the paper you want for your coaster.
4. Place the tile on the paper and trace around it lightly with a pencil. If possible, I do it on the back side of the paper so there are not any pencil lines visible.
5. Cut the square out of the paper.
6. Place the tile face up and brush a thin coat of Mod Podge on the top.
7. Place the paper square on top of the Mod Podge.
8. Press the paper down gently to remove any air bubbles.
9. Let the Mod Podge dry completely. This should take around 15-20 minutes
10. After it has dried, look for any air bubbles. If there are any, use the tip of a pin to pop it. Force any air out.
11. Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge on the paper. Make sure you cover the paper completely. Do not miss the edges.
12. Let the Mod Podge dry completely. This should take around 15-20 minutes
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 one to two more times.
14. Once the tile has dried completely, spray it with a coat of clear acrylic gloss coating.
15. After the acrylic spray has dried, apply 4 felt pads to the bottom of the ceramic tile. Place one in each corner. If you do not have felt pads, you can use regular felt or cork.
Do You Have to Spray DIY Tile Coasters with Clear Acrylic Gloss Coating?
I would strongly suggest that you spray the finished tile with a coat of waterproof clear acrylic gloss coating. If you do not, the coaster will likely stick to your cup or mug. It can fall off after you pick up your drink or you may have to pry the coaster off.
The spray will also make your DIY tile coaster waterproof. This is important. If they are not sprayed with the coating, your beverages will leave ring stains.
If you are looking for some premade ceramic tile coasters, I have added some of those too. Below are 10 ceramic tile coasters that are available on Etsy.
1. MARVEL CHARACTER COASTERS
These Marvel Universe slate coasters measure 4 inches x 4 inches (square) or 4 inches (circle). There are 12 designs to choose from.
2. SET OF 4 DOCTOR WHO INSPIRED SLATE COASTERS
Are you looking for a gift for a Whovian? Or are you just wanting to add to your own collection? You cannot go wrong with these Doctor Who slate coasters.
3. HANDMADE TILE COASTERS SET OF 4 - NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
These handmade ceramic tile coasters are so beautiful you will want to hang them on the wall. They are truly pieces of artwork. The Nightmare Before Christmas coasters measure 4 inches x 4 inches. Each tile has a high gloss bar top resin that resists cold and hot drinks. Coasters have cork on the back to protect your furniture.
4. VINTAGE GAME DRINK COASTERS-MONOPOLY-TWISTER-SORRY-OPERATION-TILE DRINK COASTERS-DECORATION-MEMORABILIA COASTERS-
Do you have game night at your house? These ceramic tile coasters would be perfect. This set includes four (4) Vintage Board Games designs ~ Twister ~ Sorry ~ Monopoly & Operation. Relive your childhood with these fun and nostalgic themed coasters.
5. BLACK & WHITE SNOOPY CERAMIC TILE COASTERS - ENGRAVED - SET OF 4
Here’s the world’s most famous beagle! Snoopy!!! How cute are these handmade Peanuts ceramic tile coasters? The coasters measure 4.25" x 4.25" and have silicone non-slip protectors on the back.
6. DISNEY'S HAUNTED MANSION SLATE COASTERS SET OF FOUR
The Haunted Mansion is one of the must-see attractions at the Disney Parks. It is always a fan favorite. If you have not watched Behind the Attraction on Disney Plush, check it out. It is very interesting.
This set of Disney Haunted Mansion Ceramic Tiles comes with 4 slate tiles. Each tile measures approximately 4 inches x 4 inches across. The tiles are laser etched and have rubber feet.
7. STAR WARS INSPIRED CERAMIC COASTERS | BY TREBRÉH DESIGNS
If you are a fan of Star Wars Movies, you need these handmade coasters. They are very cool and are perfect for your inner geek. Each ceramic tile coaster has a protective cork backing.
8. ALICE IN WONDERLAND COASTERS, UNIQUE CERAMIC COASTERS, SET OF 4 COASTERS, PERSONALIZED COASTERS, COASTER GIFT SET, CARTOON COASTERS
These sandstone coasters would look great in any library. The book page design will go with everything. And to make them even better, they are Alice in Wonderland! The coasters are 4.25" in diameter with a cork backing.
9. MICKEY CLOTHES CERAMIC COASTERS, TILE COASTERS, DRINK COASTERS, COASTERS, CERAMIC TILE COASTERS, HANDMADE COASTERS, COASTER, TABLE COASTER
Here is a fun set that would make a great gift for Disney lovers. The set includes 4 handmade Mickey Mouse "clothes" ceramic tile coasters. Each tile measures 4.25" x 4.25".
The Disney coasters are made with heat transfer vinyl and water-resistant plastic resin.
10. HULK, SUPERMAN, WONDER WOMAN, FLASH CERAMIC TILE COASTER, OCTAGON COASTERS, HANDMADE, COMIC BOOKS, KIDS ROOM, GIFTS FOR HIM, UNIQUE GIFT
Here are some awesome DC Comics and Marvel Universe comic book art ceramic tile coasters. The seller has several different sets to choose from. Each coaster is coated in acrylic sealer and a resin hard topcoat. They have felt backings that will help protect your furniture from scratching.
Making DIY tile coasters is an addictive hobby. When you buy a ceramic tile, make sure you buy more than one. Trust me, every time you come across a cool piece of paper, you will think to yourself, I know how to make a ceramic coaster out of this. And it does not hurt to keep a few finished coasters on hand. DIY tile coasters make the perfect last-minute gifts.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR. TRY YOUR HAND AT A DIY TILE COASTERS TODAY.